Branded

When I was 5 years old I decided I was going to live by the ocean. I have always felt that it had some hold on me, that it called to me all the way in the Midwest. I was a part of it and it was a part of me. This is still true. When the waves wash over my feet, I am taken to this other world, this place that understands me and my dreams in a world full of non-dreamers and non-believers. And someday I will live by the ocean.

But the ocean will only be a pit stop on my journey. One day I will also live in the heart of New York City. And I will spend my life traveling the world. I know all these things will happen because they are my dreams and I believe. But NYC and all my travels, as well as Minneapolis, will also only be pit stops. They may last for a moment, or for years, but they will be pit stops nonetheless.

I have always loved the idea of wandering the world aimlessly, going from place to place, whether for a day, a month or a year. But I have also always loved the idea of having roots. Of planting my feet so firmly in the ground that I will have left my mark there forever. I love the idea of growing old and having a place to raise my children. And I know where my roots will be planted.

In the end, after all of my pit stops, and even amongst my travels, my roots will be in the mountains. They too, just like the ocean, are calling to me. They are begging for me to plant my feet in their soil and to never let go. It doesn't seem to matter how long you live among the mountains, whether it be 8 years or 3 months, they leave this feeling behind. They brand you. They make it known that you belong to them and that they belong to you. They know that you may leave, but they also know you will always come back. Because that brand they left on your heart will always burn whenever you are reminded of what it felt like to be among them.

I watched the movie Flicka tonight. It took place in the mountains of Wyoming, part of the same mountains as my beloved Montana. And seeing that place made the brand on my heart burn. So while I will always be a soul that wanders aimlessly, I will one day end up among the mountains, where I belong.

And remember, "Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

In fact, all the aimless wanderers may know best where their roots lie. Because they have seen it all, but know where to call home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great entry.
MDoc
Anonymous said…
Beautifully written, my sweet sister.

Let's wander aimlessly in the mountains together this summer.
Anonymous said…
I do not wander but in my mind for physical journeys toll my body. So, you shall sojourn for me with your feet traveling for mine. I shall root myself early for you to enjoy from afar. :)
teacherwoman said…
Well, written, cdoc. It's been a while since you have posted...so I have missed reading about you! I came across another blog today... thought you might be interested in reading it. I think this person mentioned a blog that you have read before...about Baghdad. Check it out.

http://badbadbuddha.wordpress.com/

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?