"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

I was always a bit skeptic of this phrase. How can being away from a person make you fonder? With time, you will slowly start to forget the sound of their laughter and the scent of their hair. You will forget the way they dance and the way they like their toast. Sure, when you see them again, when they laugh or dance, all those things come rushing back. Being away may make you yearn for them, but you no longer know them as well as you used to. At least that is what I used to think. I should have know this phrase was true since whenever I would see my sisters again, it was like no time had passed. I don't know what it was that made me realize all that I took for granted, maybe it is being away from home for so long or my travel mishaps or my friend's car accident or maybe just that I am getting older, something made me see how I took everything for granted in my life before I came here. It was so easy, I could go up the stairs or across the hall or get in my car and spend a day or less driving and I would be with my family or friends. It was simple. They were always there. But the phrase is true. Everyday that I am away from my family and friends, I long for them more and more. I miss those moments, the laughing until my stomache hurts and tears are streaming down my face, the quiet moments of just sitting together, the movie watching, the ice-cream getting, the moments that make memories. I miss those things. I know, I am a sentimental fool. But I miss my loved ones more and more each day and sometimes I feel like the time will never get here that I will get to be with them again. And then I remind myself that time is flying by. This coming weekend I get to go visit my photography friends, my parents will come to visit in 2 months, there are possibilities of seeing my sisters and friends soon and in 5 1/2 months or less, I will be in Minneapolis, back to being across the hall, up the stairs or driving distance from those that I love. And I can't wait. So, all those years that I didn't believe that phrase, I was wrong. Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

Comments

teacherwoman said…
Well said, girlfriend....well said. I miss those moments as well.
Anonymous said…
We miss you too and are definitely looking forward to spending some time with you in September.
Love Mdoc
Anonymous said…
You are becoming such a good writer. Seriously. I, too, cannot wait until you are here.
Anonymous said…
Gulp. Sniffle. What a sweet message. I miss you too Cdoc.

But please live in the present and have fun while you're there. I worry that you will regret not appreciating what you do have. You may never live in the northeast again - take advantage of it and go enjoy it even if you have to take the kids with you to enjoy it. At a minimum, be present.
cdoc said…
Thanks jdoc! Bdoc, I do appreciate what I have. I will miss the kids when I leave, I was just reminding myself to enjoy them as much as I can. I was also just thinking today about how I will miss the town and my coffee shop. I am being present, I just don't talk about it as much.
Anonymous said…
I love reading your entries Cass. I never knew you were such a good writer! Thanks so much for the E-Card; you're always so thoughtful : )
Steph
Our day to day lives sometimes get missed in our conversations, it is what our minds think about that gets written down. Missing your sisters, family, and friends is not a part of day-to-day living, eating toast, changing diapers, having coffee, etc, are daily happenings. So, I understand that you are in the present and yet are hopeful about the future.

I do agree that with some people the heart can grow fonder and with others, your heart merely forgets, and if that person if lucky, they have left a dent or a ripple in your memory.

You are writing very well lately. I fear that you will steal my title as one who writes. ;) Man, I'll never find my talent.
Oh, P.S.

Yes, you may link me to you. I did not get your permission so why get mine? ;)

I did not think you'd mind. I hope not!

P.P.S. Holly is engaged.
Anonymous said…
hi Cdoc, I drop by your blog every now and then, and today I can certainly relate about absence and missing family. But I know you are remembering bdoc's advice. Look at your time away as a journey of self-discovery and an opportunity to build your photo portfolio for future endeavors. Carpe diem, make your life extraordinary!
cdoc said…
Thanks to all for reading my blog, for your compliments on my writing and for your advice.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cdoc said…
Mandy, I had to remove your comment because I don't want my name on it since I talk about the family I work for and I don't want them to be able to track it, sorry. It was nice to hear from you, so please keep reading and commmenting on my blog!
Anonymous said…
sorry cdoc....didn't know....
have a good day!

Popular posts from this blog

What do I do?

Target