Gold Medal Winner

My work expectations (actual version): take care of children, including feeding, playing, bathing, etc.; occasional laundry for children; occasional dinner for parents (if asked); running some errands i.e. groceries, gas, post office, etc.; cleaning up after kids; taking to school, doctor, playdates, etc.

My work expectations (Grandmother's version): putting kids to bed at night (I am done with work 6:30/7 pm); help make dinner every night (I don't even need to eat with them if I don't want to); run her errands (buy her groceries, etc.); help take care of ailing grandfather (granted, he just had major arm surgery, but still not the person I need to be taking care of, she can handle it).

While I do like that she loves me and feels like I have always been part of the family, I wouldn't mind if she liked me less if it meant that she would expect less of me. I am not a 24 hour a day 7 days a week nanny, I am not here to serve her; I am a 12/13 hour a day nanny 5 days a week, here only for the children. How do you tell someone that thinks you are the best that "it is not my responsibility, the kids are my responsibility" without making her feel like it is the end of the world (and trust me, that is how she would feel). Maybe I don't and grin and bear it until she leaves. But the thing is, we don't know when they are leaving because the grandfather can't fly yet and his doctor is here. It will be Tuesday (5 more days) at the LEAST! And let me make sure you understand, if there was an Overbearing Person Award, she would get the gold medal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hilarious Cass. Maybe she'll buy you another present if you stick it. Good luck. Make sure you pinch that mean Grandfather in the sore arm too.

I guess it's better that she loves you ....
jm said…
ok - boundary time. You need to "check out" at the same time every night. Either go for a walk at 7 pm or take a bath (so that you are indisposed) or go to the gym - something! And always at the same time. Adults repsond to routine just like kids. This can't go on much longer. You'll burn out!
cdoc said…
Thanks for the advice jm! Don't worry about me burning out, it is the weekend, so tonight I am going to head out to a movie or do something else. And I have plans for the next couple days to keep me out of the house!

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?