Starbucks or small business?

I have a predicament. I have been frequenting a new local coffee shop this past week. So here's the thing, their chai teas (all I drink at coffee shops besides hot chocolate) are okay, but not my favorite. Starbucks doesn't have my favorite chai tea either, but it is better than this new coffee shop. I am all about supporting the small businesses so big corporations don't put them out of business. Question of the day: What would you do, go to the small coffee shop even though it isn't as good, but not terrible or go to Starbuck's where it is better but not supporting the small town businesses? I am torn between the two. On the topic, I get a tidbit of info everday in my email called Ideal Bite and today it was about Starbucks (after I had already gone their today), here's what it said:

"Company Background Ben Packard, head of Environmental Affairs, told Ideal Bite, ... that five years ago the company took a big step forward when it signed on to the United Nations Global Compact . Since then, the company has published an annual report - a tell-all on how Starbucks performs on social and environmental metrics.

Why Would You Care?

  • In 2005, Starbucks purchased 11.5 million pounds of Fair Trade Certified coffee, making it the largest purchaser of FTC coffee in North America.
  • Will soon make industry history with the release of a 10% Post Consumer Fiber (PCF) cup. In one year, this change will preserve 78,000 trees, the energy to power 640 homes for a year, the water to fill 71 Olympic-size pools, and 109 garbage trucks fully loaded with solid waste.
  • Committed to purchasing 20% of its yearly electricity consumed in the form of Green-e certified wind renewable energy certificates. In 2006, this will have the same impact as removing 12,194 cars from the road for a year.
  • Offering a 10-cent discount for using a re-usable commuter mug reduced 655,000 pounds of paper waste during 2004.
  • Developed Coffee and Farmer Equity (C.A.F.E.) Practices, a set of environmentally, socially and economically responsible coffee buying guidelines. Starbucks paid a 23% price premium on 76.8 million lbs of coffee during 2005."

So it may not be supporting small businesses, but it is still doing good. Starbucks is doing some things I believe strongly in. But I also believe strongly in helping the little people. What would you do?

Comments

teacherwoman said…
I completely agree with supporting the small businesses...but sometimes their "stuff" is just not as good. Maybe you might find something else you would like there. You never know! Explore your horizons. I do like what Starbucks is doing "environmentally". But, they should up their refund of $.10 to atleast $.30 off for using those mugs instead of their paper cups... good idea though! Tough Call. If Chai Tea is all you really like, stick with Starbucks....but if you are willing to venture out and try something new that you may love, buy a mug and go to the small coffee shop. That's what I would do!
Anonymous said…
I think Starbucks will continue doing the environmentally sound things and will continue to put the Ma and Pop businesses out on their duffs. I think they also started as a Ma and Pop shop too so they aren't doing it on purpose. I just like to buy locally and Starbucks is not that. So, I say go with the local shop, you'll get accustomed to the chai or you'll find something else you like. But you'll definitely be helping someone by going there. Our General Mercantile (local coffee place) would not make it in this SMALL town of FOUR STARBUCKS if it weren't for the good ol' reliables....
cdoc said…
Good answers... I know what I will most likely do, but I was just curious about others.
There are no other shops to go to? Perhaps you could brew at home? I dislike coffee and related products so I do not have much of an answer. I like Diet Coke and that must come from a major corporation. :)

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

What do I do?

Target