Global warming isn't the only inconvenient truth

I made an attempt to see An Inconvenient Truth today. However, I could not find the theater. I have never been to this particular one before, so I made sure to get directions off of Google today. At first I thought Google failed me. But it wasn't Google's fault, because when I also tried to get directions off of the web on my cell phone, they too led me to a dead end. Maybe this theater doesn't exist at all. I was disappointed, I was really looking forward to seeing it. There is one other theater about a half hour away that is playing it, I could make an attempt tomorrow to head there, but I have already spent entirely too much money on my time off, so driving there (I had to pay for my own gas this week, yuck) and the price of a movie ticket (which are insane) may deter me until next weekend. On another note, I just read an article in the New York Times Magazine about Walmart and organics. It was depressing. They pointed out the positives, that this will make organics more mainstream; that people will be able to afford them; if Walmart does it, others will follow. All good points, but that was just one paragraph of the 3+ page article. It went on to explain that for organics to be cheaper, small farms growing organics will lose business when bigger corporations grow organic; how the animals, now treated well with most small organic farms, will be locked up in pens to protect them from disease since they will no longer be usuing antibiotics to keep them healthy. The worst thing of all, in order to make organics cheaper, the organic regulations will most likely be weakened. Already Walmart has requested this so they could afford to sell more organics. They want to be able to use the word organic without actually using all organics. Sad. Already a bill was up for vote (not by Walmart, by some chicken industry) that if organic feed for chickens goes above a certain price, they should be able to use regular feed and still mark it as organic. It didn't pass, thankfully, but it will only be a matter of time before the powers-that-be (Walmart, etc.) get what they want. Can't we keep anything good and pure in this country, does it always have to be about money? It also talked, in this article, about a pesticide called atrazine that is sprayed on 70% of corn in the US and has been found in rivers, rain, even human bodies. Europe has already banned it because it is a carcinogen (which causes cancer). But for those of you that didn't know (I learned this fact a few years ago in my environmental class), the US doesn't only follow the policy of "innocent until proven guilty" with criminals, it also does with foods, pesticides, beauty products, etc. This meaning that until the US does their own studies and proves that things like atrazine cause harm to humans, it allows it to remain on the market, including in our foods. Anyone scared yet? Europe does the opposite, nothing is used until proven safe. I think the US has things a little backwards... but again, whatever makes us money, that is most important. I guess global warming isn't the only truth that is "inconvenient" for this country.

Comments

America doesn't seem to give a shit. I just saw a headline from USA today about how the young generation is obsessed with tanning. An activity that is known to cause cancner, but does anyone care... nope because it makes ya pretty or they think it does.

And global warming, pish... why care about that if it meant that you'd have to about something/someone other than yourself. You'd have to do some research, you'd have to pay attention to what you bought and didn't buy. You'd have to park your car for a while... and for America, that's harsh. That's a loss of freedom.

We suck a lot sometimes.
Anonymous said…
I heart Europe.

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?