Addictions

I have been going to the gym, on a good week, 3-4 times, on a bad week, 1-2 times. I started this February 1st. And all I have lost is 2 pounds. I was brainstorming as to what I could be doing wrong. I am eating healthier than ever, limiting my calories, choosing only whole grains, eating a lot of yogurt, fruit and rice cakes as snacks, eating a little something every few hours to keep my metabolism up, cutting out sweets. Yesterday I realized that part of the problem was that I traded one addiction for another. I am addicted to sweets, no doubt. But when I started to eat better and exercising, I started to crave them less. I even have candy in my room and I can limit myself to 1 small treat a day, or even 1 a week. My new addiction is cheese. This won't come as a shock to my parents, I used to eat it non-stop as a kid. And I have continued to love it my whole life. But now, with sweets mostly out of my diet, I can't help but eat cheese. And lots of it. I eat it in my sandwiches, with crackers or pretzels, I eat it plain. I realized I went through a whole thing of cheddar cheese in the matter of 5 days... all by myself. So now I need to find a way to limit it in my diet. I will allow myself a little each day, just like I do with sweets. Hopefully I don't find a new addiction. And hopefully I can lose more than 2 pounds in 2 months if I cut back on it. On that note, I am heading to the gym.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So what you are saying is it's time to cut the cheese?
Anonymous said…
Oh dear, that was a Papaism if I ever heard one.

Cass - good discover about your new addiction. As soon as I cut out sweets, I'm addicted to salt. When the salt is gone, it's Diet Pepsi. When the DP is gone, it's back to sweets. It's a vicious cycle that I can't seem to stop. Luckily, throughout it all, I've remained addicted to exercise. If that stops, I don't know what's next ... beer, most likely.
I once read an article stating that cheese is as addictive as heroin. So, really it's not your fault. Perhaps you should hit the nearest methodone clinic. ;)

I just can't seem to get the hang of exercise. It's boring and I hate sweating.
teacherwoman said…
I am with you on the lack of ability to lose weight when eating right and exercising! It is hard. We all have our downfalls. "They say" (whoever they are) that exercising should take place everyday for an hour a day at least...just becuase people don't move enough. I beleive it. That doesn't mean I am available for an hour a day everyday. Sometimes it is just to hard to get to the gym when you don't get home until after 6pm and you are completely exhausted. Stinks big time!

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?