Believe

Periodically, I stop by Kmart. They often have cute, cheap clothes. Who knew, right? Yesterday I walked in and in the entrance is a giving tree for the Salvation Army. I have read a lot of controversy about SA and their homophobic ways, so I have been avoiding the bell ringers a little more than usual, even though I know all the good they also do. But it was hard to miss this tree.



The gifts for children were supposed to be picked up no later than Dec. 14th. Yet, there were easily 30+ names left on the tree. It broke my heart. All these children are going to get nothing for Christmas. I stood at the tree reading all the things the children wanted and needed. I called my Mom and told her of all the children left on the tree. And as I talked her into joining my crusade, people overheard me as walking by and soon there were 5 or so people looking at the tree with me. They all pulled off a child from the tree, which was awesome. I pulled off 6. I picked 3 boys, ages 6 months, 2 years and 11 years and 3 girls, ages 8 months, 5 years and 13 years. Only $42 later, they all got what the needed from their tags.


Unfortunately, they were no longer collecting at Kmart. So I went to the Salvation Army, which was closed for the weekend. My parents will take the gifts there tomorrow and I can only hope that they make it to these children before Christmas.


I did what I could. I wish I could have grabbed every child off that tree. I hope I made some sort of difference. I just need to believe I did.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You did make a difference, just by the thank yous and God bless I received from the ladies working at the Salvation Army, when I dropped them off. MDoc
jdoc said…
This is fantastic! Good for you sweet sister.

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?