The unexpected

I got a shock on Friday. My employer said "I have been meaning to talk to you about something" (a version of the words "we need to talk" which usually means nothing good). I had no clue what she was going to say. I thought it would be bad, but could think of nothing that I had done wrong. They (she and the father) had a discussion and decided that I deserved a raise. This was not expected at all. When I was hired for the job, it was agreed that after 6 months they would consider giving me a raise and then another after a year if I decided to stay longer. I have only been working for 4 months and they are now paying me what they agreed to pay me after a year. Which makes me wonder what they will pay me if I stay for longer than a year? Hmmm.... They said that since I do so much they felt I should be making more, but this is what they want to do for now. Part of me is thinking, "oh my god, this is too much money." But when I think about all I do and all the stress this job has caused me, do I think I deserve this raise? HELL YES! I never expected this job to be as hard as it is. I am challenged everyday and am always stressed. I have a new found respect for a mother's job (thanks Mom!). Don't mistake this blog as bragging, I am not. I am just starting to realize that I deserve what I make because being a nanny is not easy.

Comments

jm said…
Self-esteem is always healthy and knowing your worth is the best gift you can give yourself. You work hard and you deserve to be compensated. Don't let your inner Saboteur get ahold of this. You're worth every penny and more.
Anonymous said…
You are worth the money and I am happy to hear that you realize how hard a mom's job really is. Thanks for the compliment.
MDoc
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you're not taking my advice to just kick 'em. You probably wouldn't be getting any raises then. I'm glad they see the worth in you. And thanks for the reminder to say thanks to Mama. You are A BOMB (as Papa would say...)
teacherwoman said…
I am glad to hear that you got a raise! That is a good thing, as long as you enjoy the job! Otherwise, is it worth it?

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?