Still not done...

I don't know how to do this. I hated quitting all my other jobs, even if I didn't like them and those were regular jobs. This is like quitting a family. Not my family and I don't feel like they are family, but they feel like I am. The grandmother is here visiting (her mother, not his whom I don't care for) and she told me today that I have a way with S that no one else has, not even her parents. She said that she tried for 15 minutes to get S to eat her banana when they were outside together and I was inside with the baby, and she refused. All I did was come outside, told her to eat it and she said okay and it was gone in a few minutes. After hearing that, how am I supposed to talk to them and tell them I am quitting their family, I am leaving their kids that I love as if they were my own, and walk away? Don't get me wrong, I want to leave this job more and more everyday. I don't enjoy it anymore. I am bored, I don't feel challenged. I feel like I put my life on hold and gave up my identity. I left my friends and family behind. I am glad I did this job, it was an adventure and I can cross it off my list, but it is time for me to go. But that doesn't make it any easier. Twice tonight I looked the mother in the face and the words were on the tip of my tongue, but then she would say something with a smile (she always smiles when she talks, I know where the baby gets it from) and I lost my nerve. So I have decided I need to write them a letter. I know the downside to that, but I can't do it any other way, not while they are looking at me. It may be a letter just saying I want to talk to them about my future with them, or it may go into full detail. Either way, I will let them know I want to talk about it in person later, but this was the only way it could be done. So thanks for all the advice and support. But I have to do this my way, and this is the way it needs to be done. Otherwise I will be here forever.

Comments

However you do it, just do it.
jm said…
You can disregard this...

I know you feel responsible for S but in her lifetime, many people will come and go. You have a wonderful opportunity to teach her how to let that happen without taking it personally. Sit her down and tell her that you have loved working with her and that she has been a great partner. Speak to her as if she is your co-worker so that she knows this is your job and that your job has ended. This is not about Love or the end of love. This is not her fault. She has done a great job and she will get to work with someone else now and do a great job with her. Help her to not take this personally and you will have given her a great skill.

As for the parents -- they know their family is not your family. Witnessing their life has motivated you to begin your own! They will totally support you in that.

However you choose to do it, I am sure you will do the right thing.
Anonymous said…
I couldn't have said it better than JM - how insightful you are!!

Good luck Cass.

Love you, Bdoc

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?