What do you think?

I want to hear what you think I should do on this issue. I think most are on agreement that a baby first words and their first steps are the 2 biggest milestones they will make. Baby S started walking today. She has taken one step in front of me and her parents before. At first today, she was taking 3 steps. I figured I wouldn't tell her parents and they could discover it on their own. Three steps really isn't that much. Then she started taking more, 4 one time, then 10 steps, then 3, then 4, then 10, then 13, at which point she was getting frustrated with me because I kept backing up whenever she would get to me, so we quit (and I wasn't letting her have the pen she was really after). So, do I tell the parents? These were really her first steps, the ones that the parents are going to put in her baby book. And it is a lot of steps to simply not tell them. I was the one to see her first time sitting up and her first time crawling, the first time waving, clapping, shaking her head no when she actually means no (which just started yesterday). I felt bad telling the parents, but they never seemed to care that they weren't the first to witness it, they simply got excited and wanted to see her do it. I am thinking it would be the same with the first steps, so I want to tell them. But again, big milestone. What do you think?

Comments

Tell them. They chose to not be home for her first year and to have a nanny. Many children have their firsts with nannies, in daycares, etc.

I think it'll be fine. Obviously, they don't have the same feelings about it as you do. So, no worries.
teacherwoman said…
Definitely tell them!
cdoc said…
I will tell them, if they ever get home. It is 1.5 hours after I was supposed to be done working; luckily, I am only watching the baby, who has been asleep for more than an hour.
Anonymous said…
Did you tell them? I would want to know if I were her parents - even if I made the choice not to be home and felt awful about missing out on the 'firsts.' I think they have to be somewhat resolved to missing important parts of their child's first-year milestones.

When you nanny for my children, just tell me all the milestones; I'll be able to handle it ;-)
cdoc said…
I told them. L was excited, not upset,so its cool.

Popular posts from this blog

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

Target

What do I do?